During the Triennial Convention held in July 2011, Resolution #45 was endorsed by the voting delegates.
The highlights of the resolution for the Structure Committee were:
- the geographic location of the National Office within the National Capital Region;
- the organizational make up of the National Office;
- the proper representation for members;
To achieve recommendations:
- to be adopted by the National Executive
- and be submitted to the USGE Triennial Convention in 2014 for endorsement.
The Committee is composed of members from the National Executive and staff members from the National Office in order to accomplish the work on making USGE a more vibrant, responsive and cohesive Union. Members of the Committee are and I would like to formally introduce them to you:
- Sister Jan Hauck – National Vice-President/RVP, RCMP/Justice/PPSC/CSIS and Chair of the Committee
- Brother Barry Stolar – RVP, Saskatchewan, CSC
- Sister Jackie Oswald – RVP, Manitoba/Saskatchewan, RCMP, Justice, PPSC
- Brother Dave Neufeld – RVP, CSC Community – PBC (West)
- Brother Robin Kers – Labour Relations Officer and representing the CEP union.
- Sister Annette Baker -Receptionist/Membership and representing the CEP union
- Sister Patricia Elliott – Senior Labour Relations Officer and Technical Advisor
- Sister Mireille Laniel, Operation Manager and Technical Advisor
- and myself, Danielle Belleau, RVP, Ottawa.
The Committee met briefly on September 23, while in Ottawa to set up next steps. Another meeting was held on December 6 and 8, 2011 in Ottawa.
At the meeting, the committee developed a Statement of Work (SOW) and the Request for Proposal (RFP). After a meticulous review by the Committee Members, our RFP/SOW was sent to our Legal Counsel for input and endorsement. A final version was submitted for tendering on January 20, 2012.
On February 10, 2012 at 16:00 hrs, the tendering process closed. Three proposals were received.
The committee met in Ottawa at the Minto Suites Hotel on February 23 and 24, 2012 to evaluate the submissions. A rating guide was used to assess the submissions. Each Committee Member worked independently to rate the proposals on the first day, and on the second day we collaborated and came up with the successful company. We are pleased to announce that Kelly Sears Consulting Group was awarded the contract.
On March 6, 2012, the Committee met with Michael Kelly and Corey Doering, consultants from Kelly Sears to go over the project, the deliverables, the milestones, as well as to determine the interview process. It was decided that all USGE office staff, each RVP, and approximately 25% of locals would be interviewed.
USGE Organizational Review — Summary Status Report #5, May 18, 2012
Achievements to date
- Total of 52 interviews completed (or just over 90% of 58 interviewees):
- 15 of 16 RVP interviews completed, plus two interviews with National President.
- All 14 interviews with National Office staff completed. Some subsequent follow-up will be required to discuss specific issues.
- 22 of 27 interviews completed with Local Presidents
- A preliminary baseline report has been submitted to the Structure Committee on May 3, and validation session scheduled for June 26.
- Are currently analyzing additional information (e.g., grievances, complaints)
- Have been working on detailed opportunity profiles and organizational models
- Target for presentation to the USGE National Executive is scheduled for September 28, 2012.
Following Final Report, NEM will extract from the report what can be implemented now and set aside what will be required for approval at Convention 2014.
We will continue to post updates on our website as they become available. If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact anyone of the following Committee Members.